Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It's Raining, Where Did You Build Your House?

Recently, Tucson endured torrential rains, flash flooding, overflowing washes and damage to not only residences and businesses, but to the landscape where we live.

Many houses in the flood plains (actually dry washes) suffered serious damage when mountains of mud and debris suddenly filled living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms when natural sand barriers crumbled in the torrents.

Homes built on higher ground, on solid foundations, suffered little to no damage at all even though they endured the same storms.

How many of us have built our homes (lives) on sand and not rock?

For many years, my life was built around the notion that I was a good person. Sure, I had my faults, my foibles and even my sins. However, I was under the impression that since I asked Jesus into my heart at bible camp when I was 12, I was saved.

But, I still found myself constantly struggling in the quicksand of sin. Why?

I was and still am fluent in Christianese. I know Christian-speak and I know all the right cliche's about Christian behavior and how a Christian is supposed to act.

At least I thought I did.

In many churches today, a doctrine is being taught that is contrary to the word of God. What is so frightening is that I, like millions of other "Christians" in this country alone, bought into it, hook, line and sinker.

In a nutshell, this doctrine teaches us (and our children, if we let it) that Jesus is a sweet, sweet God that we can keep in our pockets.

Integrated into this doctrine is the New Age-get-enlightened-and-feel-good nonsense. We're made dizzy and full of ourselves on Sunday mornings and yet, on Sunday night, we're watching Desperate Housewives or Grey's Anatomy.

Monday, we're listening to music that blatantly promotes sex outside of marriage. The number one and two songs on the charts this week are titled, "Unfaithful" and "Promiscuous Girl."

On Wednesday, we're scouring the tabloids in our haste to find out what celebrity cheated, nearly dropped her baby, broke up a marriage, got arrested for DUI or overdosed on drugs.

By Friday, we're gossiping about our coworkers, judging our friends and famiy members (not their behavior, them personally) and acting as if we would never do the things they do.

But

on Sunday morning, they we are in our finest clothes, sitting in the front pew, bowing our heads and thanking God that we are saved from the fiery pits of hell because we said a little prayer many years ago asking Jesus into our hearts.

To my Christian friends: Have you ever heard about being up a creek without a paddle?

We're deceiving ourselves. Jesus didn't teach about a sweet little prayer and salvation.

He taught repentance and salvation by grace through faith. If we aren't living a radically different life, repenting daily and obeying Christ, we're up that creek.

We can look the part, act the part, talk the part, read the part and yes, even write the part, but if we aren't in daily communication with our Savior through prayer, obedience and repentance, we won't even get a part in the kingdom of heaven.

By building our spiritual lives in dry washes and flood plains, we are easily manipulated into thinking that we're ok, you're ok, everyone is a-ok. But, when we profess to be Christians and share the God of love with the world but neglect to mention that this holy God despises sin, demands repentance and obedience, we're not sharing God at all!

We've built on sand!

What we're telling the world is that Jesus died in vain. "He died, thank you, Lord, but please don't ask me to do anything for you that might make people think I'm a religious fanatic. You only matter to me when a family member is sick, when I need help with my checkbook or on Mother's Day."

When Jesus was nailed to the cross, it was because it was the only way that man could be reconciled with God.

God gave His Son so that we might live if we turn from our sin, trust in Him and obey Him. All of our good deeds and works matter not if they aren't done with a repentant, grateful and obedient heart.

It matters not if we say we know Jesus.

What matters most is, does Jesus know you?

Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord" will enter the kindgom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?"

Then I will say to them plainly, "I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!" Matthew 7:21-23

It's raining, my friends. Where did you build your house?

Therefore, everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house ont he rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose and the winds blew and beat against that house and if fell with a great crash. Matthew 7:24-27



Originally written for ©The Peach Pages 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment